30 July 2002 Images

Click on a thumbnail for a full size version, whose file size varies from 232 KB to 432 KB. The quality of the images below is quite good, and the composition of some is unique. Unfortunately though, I didn't have time to mop the clear acrylic floor beforehand. I did accomplish a lot of other site cleanups, and a just bit of exterior pressure washing. But I didn't pressure wash the north side of the aircraft, which really needs it due to pollen, moss, and grit buildup, as you can see in the first image.

Many thanks to KATU's photographer, Bryon Garvin, and reporter and anchor Dan Tilkin, who captured and provided these images. They were here to shoot a piece for their local news show, which aired 7 August 2002 (but is still available here), and which I thought was wonderfully done (in spite of my depleted state during the shoot). It's amazing to me how skillfully they construct the stories and the video, especially given that everything has to be accomplished in such a short time. It looks to me like there's a great deal of effort behind every minute of a news cast, a fact we viewers rarely appreciate.

In an effort to present a clean view of the project, I worked quite hard to complete some work in progress and tidy the site up. But I depleted myself badly, which was a stupid mistake. For video shoots, it's important to present as healthy an appearance as possible, and an enthusiastic attitude (because normally I do feel enthusiastic, and genuine interest makes for more compelling interviews with better content). But I was fully spent, with precious little sleep over the previous two days, and physically drained. While I tried to give it my best, I just didn't have much to give, feeling and looking like a zombie. Terribly sorry Dan! I'll try to balance the needs for a clean site and best personal attributes better next time.

I acquired new O-rings for the two water tank caps, courtesy of O-Rings West, and secured those caps with new stainless steel internal hex drive bolts and washers. I also plugged the unused connection ports on the tank with temporary bolts, and will replace those shortly with permanent plugs, which I now have. I reconnected he water lines for the rear lavs, though without a shut-off valve (it was inappropriately removed by Aero Controls). Those accomplishments allowed me to connect domestic water to the external port behind the fuselage water service door (using a ramp service connector which is temporarily mated to a hose connector) and test the water system. The faucets in all three lavs work fine, but the water heaters for both the galleys leaked profusely, which is odd. I turned off the valves for those heaters, and will troubleshoot them when time permits. Two of the three water glass dispensers work too, but their drain lines need to be replaced due to kinks and general deterioration. That should be easy. The third dispenser is dry, but may be affected by the valve associated with the rear galley water heater. The toilets require electrical power for the flush mechanism - bringing those to life will have to wait.

I'm thrilled with the right wing. It's still fully self supporting, and there's no sign of any mechanical weakness. I acquired heavier bolts for the left wing splice beams some time ago, which suggests that it's splice should be even stronger (and I might replace the bolts in the right wing with the larger size bolts at some point too). It really shouldn't be my highest priority, but I'm eager to mount the left wing anyway. No welding has been accomplished yet - I need to get that done.

I'm five clear acrylic panels short of the total required to complete all the floor panel installations. But I have cut all of those I had on hand, to size, which provided a complete set for the entire center floor section, including the tapered sections just aft of the cockpit and a large odd shaped section just inboard of the main entry door (I had to create a template first in order to reliably cut that one). But the circular saw no longer holds a straight line, which is a complete mystery, and no small frustration, so I've stopped work on those expensive panels until I acquire a new saw, leaving some end trimming work on the simple rectangular panels incomplete (that trimming is needed to optimize their centering on the beams). I was so close to finishing this work when the saw caved in - bummer.

I've removed 13 interior side panels in the forward left cabin area as you can see, along with the gasper valve air duct in that area. The fluorescent light tunnel has been disconnected, but not yet moved up. And the oxygen line hasn't been removed yet. All this is in preparation for installation of the nice looking modern style side panels. The plan is to try to complete this update in the forward half of the fuselage this year, and the aft half next year.

I had hoisted my small tractor from a heavy bolt in the tail skid bay in order to deweight the nose gear in preparation for the construction of the nose gear support pillar, but then let it back down so I could mow the lawn. I'll hoist it again, but will try to find a more aft location for better leverage - the tail skid location is only barely sufficient to fully deweight the nose.

DSCN1824.JPG DSCN1826.JPG DSCN1827.JPG DSCN1828.JPG
DSCN1829.JPG DSCN1830.JPG DSCN1831.JPG DSCN1833.JPG
DSCN1834.JPG DSCN1835.JPG DSCN1836.JPG DSCN1837.JPG
DSCN1838.JPG DSCN1839.JPG DSCN1840.JPG DSCN1846.JPG
DSCN1848.JPG DSCN1851.JPG DSCN1852.JPG DSCN1853.JPG
DSCN1854.JPG      

Contact Information ucecage@AirplaneHome.com. Report mail misconduct to uce@ftc.gov.

NoSpam Notice: UCE (spam) or any email distributed on an "opt out" basis is absolutely prohibited. Do not send any such email to any AirplaneHome.com address.